Pages

Friday 10 June 2011

London Day 6

Today being my last day in London I made a point of organizing my time well in order to see everything that I wanted. I started off by going to the National Portrait Gallery. I am not sure what it is about the NPG but I think it is one of my favorite places in London. Its free admission and not a particularly interesting building but I just love portraits. They had a great collection of the Rolling Stones going on. 

I was looking for this one image of Kate Moss that I remembered really liking last time but I was unable to find in. In my searching’s I came to the conclusion that I much rather contemporary portraits more then the ones of say, the Tudors. I think that when I know of the person I am more interested. That being said I really am interested in the later portraits because you know that they made sure to have them selves represented in a very specific way with certain objects around them etc. The modern day ones just seem less perfected I guess.

I was planning on popping into the National Gallery but I had been there before and seen most of the works I liked and just knew that I would be in there for hours so I decided to skip it. After doing a couple errands to prepare for me departure tomorrow I made my way back to the Victoria& Albert.

I some how managed to get a little lost on my way but it lead me through a nice area so I wasn’t too upset about it.

 

            Once I got to the V&A it was sunny out and everyone was sitting in the courtyard so I decided to grab a snack and join them. 

The main focus of this visit was to go to the Cult of Beauty:The Aesthetic Movement 1860-1900

 exhibition.
It was a beautiful exhibition! My favorite pieces were The Syracusan Bride Leading Wild Beasts in Process of the Temple Diana by Fredric Leighton  
http://www.bimago.it/quadri-pittori-famosi/quadri-leighton/the-syracusan-bride-leading-wild-beasts-in-procession-to-the-temple-of-diana.html
 and 

Alfred Gilbert  by Icarus. 

http://ultraorange.net/2007/12/15/alfred-gilbert-icarus-1884/

After spending some time there I slowly made my way back to my area. I picked up the months issue of Bazaar, which had a cute Erdem tote gift with it.
During my week in the lovely Isslington area I always took noticed to this seafood restaurant so decided to give it a try. I had crab Linguini which was good for the first couple of bites but slowly became less tasteful. Anyways I was glad I tried it and was now full and ready to pack.

No comments:

Post a Comment