Pages

Friday 10 June 2011

London Day 4

Today was focused on checking out the different shopping areas of London. I started off going to Chancery Lane. It is a really great strip but most stores didn’t interest me, it had a great vibe but nothing much different then Queen St between Spadina and University. Anyways the main purpose of going down there was to bring in this watch that I got years ago. It is from Storm and I cracked the glass on it a while back but the Toronto location closed so I was glad to finally be able to bring it in.
After doing that I made my way to Cox Cookies& Cake. I had read about this store in the Globe and Mail a couple months back, before I was planning this trip. The owner of the store is Partick Cox. He is a Canadian who started out his career in London as a shoe designer in the early 1980s. After 20 years in the shoe business he closed his company and decided to venture into the world of cupcakes and deserts.
I am really not one for cupcakes, but after reading about the store and Patrick I was excited to check it out. It is a store impossible to miss while walking down a not particularly interesting or nice part of town. It has these cute, but rather small double doors to get in and was a lot smaller in general then I had expected. The cupcakes were up to standard though. They are just too funny I really wanted to buy one of each kind but like I mentioned not being a cupcake eater I picked two to go. I ended up with the lips which was vanilla and blueberry and the muscle arm which was caramel and coffee.. I think? The arm was the better of the two. The girls working were super nice and after getting my pictures and sexy treats I headed off to Camdem Market.




At this time I was super grateful for my strong sense of direction and was able to get my self from the Tube to the main market by remembering the way my friend took me last time I was in London. It wasn’t too busy which was nice so I walked through the entire thing. I must say it was rather exhausting but totally worth it. There was a lot of cool things but the only thing I ended up purchases was a pocket watch.
By this point I was ready to go home and get ready for the night out and possibly pop by the National Portrait Gallery. Once I got home the NPG was replaced with a nap. After that I got ready and made my way to Leicester Square where I was meeting a old girlfriend who happened to be in London for school this semester.
 I love that it was easier for us to meet up in Europe rather then back home.
We started the night at this bar called the Roadhouse. It was pretty cool and they have live bands every night so it was certainly entertaining. It had such a funny décor. I felt like I was on the set of Rock of Ages, neon flashing lights everywhere and different directional signage. After we did some catching up and rocking out to the band we decided to head out to another bar called Zoo bar. Once I got there I remembered it as well from my last trip. It was a good time though. Two floors of great music and it seemed like it’s the place where all the tourists go. I don’t know if I meet a single Londoner. Anyways we had a great time there, ended the night with a slice of delicious pizza and a chatty taxi ride home.

No comments:

Post a Comment