Pages

Wednesday 25 May 2011

Clerkenwell Design Week 2011-LONDON

Yesterday marked the first day of my Europe/Middle East adventure that I have planned for my summer. The story of how this trip came about and the amount of work that has gone into it is another story but for now ill fill you in on what I have been up to since my arrival in London. 

Yesterday was a bit of a right off other then walking down to the Tate Modern and while I was sitting outside was photographed because the photographer liked my lipstick. ( trade mark orange lips) and I picked up my week long Tube pass. Anyways after not sleeping for about 24 hours i decided to call it a early night. 

However prior to this I had noticed signs around the area I am staying advertising the Clerkenwell Design Week so i decided to get some  information on it. It turned out to be a interior and furniture design show. This being right up my ally was really exciting to read considering it was only on for 3 days, its right outside my front door, and its free! I registered right away and went to bed in order to spend all day today going to events and gallerys.

Now I am not the best at getting up in the morning so my day started a little later then planned but non-the-less I had an amazing day going to all the events the day had. 

If I had to compare it to anything in Toronto it would be a mix of the Interior Design Show in the sense that everything is on display, the designers are around, very interactive, and friendly. And Contact in the sense that it is a open event around different stores, galleys, show rooms in the area.
The main building for the event is in Farmiloe Building. I dont really know what it is used for normally but its a super cool old warehouse and a bunch of different furniture designers were on display throughout the whole thing. I happened to go in just in time to catch a presentation by Tony Brook on the work of Wim Crouwel which has a exhibit on at the Design Museum right now that I was planning on going to. He explained the grid system that Crouwel worked by and gave great background information on the designer. 

The coolest part of the Farmiloe Building was that since Jaguar is the sponsor of this event they had a bunch of really nice cars on display. The one I have pictures of below was sooooo cool. I didn't catch all the facts but its an electric car and something in it is what is used in airplanes? hahah sorry that's all I got.  

Anyways the whole event was so enjoyable and each exhibit had the most amazing catalogs and "take aways" I wanted to take them all simply because they were all made so nicely. I had to remind myself that I would have to be carrying them around for my whole trip. The pictures below are from the Clerkenwell events and London in general enjoy :)


















2 comments:

  1. you rock!!! what a phenomenal eye you have!!!your take on London is fantastic!!! keep it up!!

    send to Amy and ur friends

    ReplyDelete
  2. Angelica! Great photos. Keep 'em coming! It's great "following" you on your trip.
    Love, Auntie Carolyn

    ReplyDelete